Changing your name

How can I change my name?

If you are over 16 you will be able to change your own surname by Deed Poll. A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part of your name, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling.

You can contact the local registry office for information on how to change your name via Deed Poll.

If you are under 16 either parent can make an application to change your name by Deed Poll. However, all those with Parental Responsibility for you must agree.

What if I don’t want to change my name?

If you do not want your name to be changed you may be able to apply to court to stop this. For information on how to do this you can contact Child Law Advice using the contact form here.

If your parents do not agree, the parent wishing to change your name can apply to court. A judge will then decide whether your name should be changed.

If the matter is in court, you may have a chance to explain your wishes and feelings about your name changing.